Friday, March 19, 2010

Jeanne taught me how to survive.

I read the Alzheimer's message boards almost daily. And mostly, I see care-givers under stress. And that used to be me. But not any more. Because I'm no longer a care-giver. My Jeanne died in January 2007. But I survived as a care-giver, and even thrived, because I learned along the way to rid myself of the stress. By getting respite. Regular breaks. Rest. I still cared for Jeanne 8 to 10 hours daily. And I never missed a day in the 38 months she spent in a nursing home. But I also went home at nighttime, and recharged my batteries, so to speak. I was no longer on duty 24/7. I became a good care-giver because I exuded good vibes. Always when I was in Jeanne's presence. I paced myself. I balanced my life. I took care of Jeanne. But I also took care of myself. I became my own care-giver. And in the process, I allowed Jeanne to, in a very vivid sense, to sustain me. I learned to savor Jeanne. To love Jeanne unconditionally. The stress was gone. I looked forward to being with Jeanne. Even today. Jeanne is gone. But she will always live. Inside me. She tells me to be happy. To not ever be afraid to fall in love. Again. Yes, Jeanne taught me how to survive. It's simple. Fall in love with life. --Jim Broede

No comments: