Friday, April 9, 2010

The greatest discovery of my life.

I like to be different. Always have. It never bothered me if I didn't fit in. Yes, even as a youngster. I didn't need to be popular. I didn't need to have many friends. One or two were always sufficient. I liked being a loner. Really, felt comfortable doing things my own way. I didn't always steer the path that my parents put me on. I'd rather find my own way. In so doing, maybe I really do fit in. Because I've learned to accept and appreciate other cultures. I don't have to be pro-American. But that opens the door for me to become sort of a world citizen. I could easily adapt to living elsewhere in the world. In Germany. In Italy. In Scotland. Even in Africa. I'd find it fascinating. That's why I like to travel. And meet people from other cultures. I've become enamored with the ways other people live. Someone told me the other day that she doesn't particualrly like the black culture. As for me, I don't know if I fully like it. But I certainly appreciate it. And maybe that's the same as liking it. For instance, when I go to church, I mostly choose a rather subdued service. Maybe with live baroque music from a string quartet. But hey, I can also enjoy the jubilant gospel hymns and wild sing-songy clapping I hear in a black church. I might not actively join in. But I could be an ardent and appreciative observer. When I went to school, I was initially taught that all things American were good. But then I discovered much of it was bullshit. That I wasn't required to dutifully accept it all. That I could borrow the best from other cultures, too. Come to think of it, other cultures have their share of bullshit, too. And that even I have my own personalized bullshit. My gawd, we're all full of it. Maybe that's the greatest discovery of my lifetime. --Jim Broede

No comments: