Thursday, April 8, 2010

It really doesn't hurt any more.

I think my Chicago Cubs will be loveable again. Loveable losers. I kind of like that. Because if they become winners and vie for the play-offs, it creates a bit of stress. Tension. Because then every game seems important. But when they lose and drop out of the race relatively early in the baseball season -- well, it's easier to take a loss. Because each loss is more or less meaningless. The Cubs had a good spring training. Winning games that don't count. But the Cubs have reverted to usual form by losing the first two games of the regular season. To Atlanta. The first game, by 16-5. But last night, the Cubs blew a 2-1 lead in the 8th inning and lost, 3-2. So they are 0-2 so far. And quite possibly they may go through the season without having a winning record even once. One thing about the Cubs. they are masters at finding ways to lose games. Some by big sciores. Others by one run. Heartbreakers, so to speak. The Cubs have broken my heart so often that it really doesn't hurt any more. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

Hey, the Cubs finally won last night. Beat Atlanta, 2-0. All seems right with the world. Funny how little things over which I have no control make a big difference. But then again, maybe I do have control. I'm able to control my attitude. My outlook. My perception. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

The Cubs are back to form again. They followed their first win of the season by fooling us into thinking they'll win two straight. But i knew better. They didn't fool me. They had a 3-1 lead over Cincinnati in the 8th inning. Only to give up a grand slam homerun and lose, 5-4. But I don't consider that heartbreaking any more. I come to expect it. And to accept it. The Cubs have invented virtually every possible way to lose a game. They have mastered the craft. Really, they have elevated the craft to art form. Nice going, Cubbies. --Jim