Monday, May 3, 2010

I'm having a jolly good time.

Maybe it'll be the worst environmental disaster in American history. Yes, the turning of the Gulf of Mexico into a gigantic oil slick. Not only that, the coastal wildlife habitats will be destroyed. And the gulf fishing industry will go kaput. All for the sake of drilling for more oil. I'm beginning to wonder if we're out to destroy the planet. What with an overheated planet already and oil spills and an arsenal of atomic warheads that could obliterate everyone of us -- well, it's downright scary. But I wonder if maybe that's the right way to go. Let's destroy everything. Maybe after two million years of dormancy, life will spring up again. The planet will replenish itself. And we can start all over. And do a better job of it the second time around. Actually, I'm wondering if it might be the 9th or 10th time around. That we've been here many times before. Only to botch the job each time. Yes, maybe there's something to the theory of eternal recurrence. We're condemned to live the same sorts of lives over and over again. Only thing is, I don't feel condemned. I'm having a jolly good time. Despite it all. --Jim Broede

No comments: