Saturday, May 15, 2010

It was a less complicated time.

I like the idea of being up and wide awake as others in my community are mostly asleep. I don't know why that is. Maybe it gives me a sense of being alone. And alive. Relatively speaking. There's something nice about wandering in the night. When it's quiet. When much of the world seems to have shut down. At least that part of the world in whch I live. I would have loved to live in the Garden of Eden. When the only living humans were Adam and Eve. Yes, at the very beginning. Imagine that. Not having other people complicate one's life. Now we have billions of people. Crowds. Throngs. Hordes. More than we can deal with effectively. In a sense, the Earth has been overrun. Adam and Eve were able to roam. More or less freely. God set some rules, of course. But gave them the opportunity to violate his edicts. To become independent. Look at what that has wrought. Today's world. Well, I'm not sure whether mankind was better off at the beginning. Or now. In the middle of the night, I really imagine returning to Eden. It was a less complicated time. --Jim Broede

No comments: