Monday, May 31, 2010

Making the best of what I have.

I think we're not supposed to want the pleasantries of life too much. That the creator will deny us what we wish for. Or will give it to us in a way that maybe we shouldn't have wished for it. For instance, I expect that the Chicago Cubs will never make it into another World Series while I'm still living. Because at one time I wanted it too much. I put it above everything else. And I'm not supposed to do that. The creator frowns on it. In other words, the creator wants me to have higher standards. Not to wish for relatively trivial, unimportant things. And I'm beginning to understand that. Used to be I got annoyed when the Cubs missed opportunities to go all the way. So close, yet so far. Oh, it still bothers me. A little bit. But I handle it much better than I used to. And I do that by counting my blessings. Many blessings, in fact. And if that means I'm gonna be denied some of the other niceties of life, that's fine and dandy. I acknoweldge that I can't and shouldn't have everything. And that I should make the best of what I have. And be grateful for it. Believe me. I am. --Jim Broede

No comments: