Friday, June 18, 2010

Guess it depends on the definition.

If my aim in life were to make money, lots of money, I'd strive to become a corporate executive. Like Tony Hayward, the CEO at British Petroleum. I'd be hauling in a salary of $4.5 million a year. Not bad. Certainly more than I make now in a lifetime. I don't do it. In part because I don't need that much money to find happiness. But then again, my kind of happiness and Tony's kind might be quite different. Albeit, Tony may not be so very happy at the moment. He said recently that he wished he had his life back. As if he had lost his life. But if Tony stops to think about it, he could get his life back today. By pulling up stakes. Leaving BP. And retiring on his savings. Ample enough, I gather, to tide him over for the rest of his life. Even if he lives to be 114. But then again, maybe Tony would consider himself an unhappy, disconsolate pauper if he only had a few million dollars to tide him over. Guess it depends on how one defines happiness. And life. --Jim Broede

No comments: