Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Time to mend their ways.

In my days as an Alzheimer's care-giver I stumbled across many other care-givers. Most of whom were quite good at care-giving. But I also encountered some that were very bad at it. That had no business being care-givers. Because they caused more harm than good. To their patients. And even to themselves. Actually, at the start, I wasn't very good at it either. I learned the hard way. From on-the-job experience. And I think that ultimately I got it right. Or reasonably so. I'm sure there are different ways to get it right. For me, it was mostly a case of recognizing that I couldn't handle 24/7 care-giving. The round-the-clock stuff. It was far too exhausting. Mentally and physically. Eventually, I put my dear Jeanne into a nursuing home, and for 38 months I spent an average of 8 to 10 hours a day with her. Didn't miss a single day. But that was not a grind. It really became a pleasure. Because I went home every night after tucking Jeanne into bed, and I got respite. A much-needed break. An opportunity to recharge my batteries for the next day. So every day with Jeanne, I exuded good vibes. I had an upbeat disposition. And it rubbed off. On Jeanne and other residents I mixed with at the nursing home. Yes, I became a member of a care-giving team. And I moreorless became captain of the team. I was Jeanne's well-rested advocate and protector. By taking care of myself, I took better care of Jeanne. When I was on duty 24/7, I didn't always handle the assignment well. I sometimes became ornery and despondent and exuded, on occasion, less than good vibes. That made me a bad care-giver. There's too many of 'em around. And I wish they'd find ways to mend their ways. --Jim Broede

No comments: