Monday, June 28, 2010

No reason to get to tomorrow.

Maybe I've captured the essence of Czech writer Milan Kundera's novel 'Slowness.' In the first paragraph.

"We suddenly had the urge to spend the evening and night in a chateau. Many of them in France have become hotels: a square of greenery; a little plot of walks, trees, birds in the midst of a vast network of highways. I am driving, and in the rearview mirror I notice a car behind me. The small left light is blinking, and the whole car emits waves of impatience. The driver is watching for the moment the way a hawk watches for a sparrow."

I'm assuming that Kundera's telling me, yes, we tend to be in a hurry, don't we? Often, that's the nature of life. Let's get somewhere. Fast. We don't fully appreciate slowness. Taking our time. We are trying to rush into the future. Instead of savoring the present moment. Making it last. In a sense, many of us never arrive at our destination. We don't know where it is. But I'm here today. And if today lasts forever, that's all right with me. Because I'm happy in the moment. No reason to hurry. No reason to get to tomorrow. --Jim Broede

No comments: