Saturday, June 5, 2010

When I enter my own little world.

The sports world is a separate world. As I well know. Because I used to be a sportswriter. And I could have stayed one. Made a career of it. But I chose not to. Because I wanted to expand my world. Yet, I limited my world, too. I built my cocoon. My own little world, so to speak. I never completely cut my ties with sports. With athletic events. I remained a sports fan. Or maybe I should say I'm a Chicago Cubs (baseball) and Chicago Bears (football) fan. It makes me feel good when the Cubs or Bears win. Even when they are having bad seasons. I still get solace from an isolated win. And occasionally they have good seasons. The Bears even won the Super Bowl in 1985. And they even got into the Super Bowl in 2006. And I even get solace when the Cubs make it to the playoffs. Albeit, they haven't made it to the World Series since 1945. I get frustrated, and even pissed, when the Cubs are having a bad season. Such as now. But hey, my day is brightened even if they only win occasionally. It doesn't take much for me to feel good. When I enter my own little world. --Jim Broede

No comments: