Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Writing whatever I want to write.

It's a rare day that I don't sit down and write. Something. Anything. Whatever comes to mind. Early in life I discovered the written word. It allowed me to talk to myself. And to record it. To see it. In a sense, it made me feel like I was creating something. Tangible. Often, it was a reminder. Of what I was thinking at a particular moment. Helped me capture an elusive thought. Human speech was a great invention. But writing an even better one. And one can write alone. Away from other people. Speech is meant to be heard. But writing. Well, that can be done in solitude. And it doesn't have to be shared. Doesn't have to be read by others. It can be oh, so private. If only I see it. If only I read it. That's sufficient. Just knowing that I've created something. A concrete, visible thought. But I've also discovered that I can reach other people. With the written word. I can tailor the words into a love letter. Many love letters. Over a sustained period of time. The love letter is my favorite form of poetry. Meant for one other. Yes, that's what I've learned to do with my life. Write. Write. Write. Write whatever I want to write. --Jim Broede

No comments: