Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'm in the right place.

In his wonderful novel "Immortality,' Czech writer Milan Kundera asks: "When a person has talent for an activity that has passed its midnight (or has not yet reached its first hour), what happens to his gift? Does it change? Adapt? Would Christopher Columbus become director of a shipping line? Would Shakespeare write scripts for Hollywood? Would Picasso produce cartoon shows? Or would all these great talents step aside, retreat, so to speak, to the cloister of history, full of cosmic disappointment that they had been born at the wrong time, outside their own era, outside the dial, the time they'd been created for? Would they abandon their untimely talents as Rimbaud abandoned poetry at the age of 19?"

Kundera suggests there are no certain answers to these questions. But I'm of the notion that it's important to be at the right place at the right time. Better than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. As for me, I think I'm in the right place. Because I'm happy and in love. --Jim Broede

No comments: