Thursday, August 26, 2010

Every place I go is Paradise.

The next time I am in Iceland, I'll book accommodations in two furnished apartments. Each for a week or 10 days. In Reykjavik, the capital and biggest city, with a population of 120,000. And in Akureyn, a more remote place, the second biggest city, with about 17,000 residents. An apartment is a much better way to live than hopping every day or two to another hotel or bed and breakfast place. And it's the most economical way. Some very nice apartments cost less than a hotel room. And one has the advantage of a bedroom, a living room, a kitchen. Also, one can unpack, and feel moreorless at home. From Reykjavik one can see much of Iceland on one-day outings. By bus. By boat. And by walking. One can get a good taste of city life. At restaurants, museums, concerts, botanical gardens and geothermo-heated pools. At Akureyn, I'd probably rent a car. And branch out in every direction daily to explore the countryside. But virtually every night in Iceland, I'd return to my home base. The apartment. And oh, yes, every time I travel, I'd meet my true love. That means that every place I go is Paradise. --Jim Broede

No comments: