Saturday, August 21, 2010

Money won't buy everything.

I thought maybe my presence jinxed the Chicago Cubs. So I went away. For a month. And I hardly ever checked on what the Cubs were doing. Thinking maybe that would change the Cubs' luck. Instead, the Cubs went from very bad to worse. They even lost 11 of 12 games at one stretch. And they kept losing heartbreakers. By one run. Often in the 9th or in extra innings. The Cubs have played 43 games decided by a single run. And they've lost 29 of 'em. So, anyway, this is the most disspirited Cubs team I've ever seen. Lackluster. No passion. The Cubs have started getting rid of some of their veteran players. Cleaning house, so to speak. I'd remake the team. Starting from scratch. With young ballplayers. And I'd cut the payroll. Drastically. The Cubs have the highest payroll in the National League. And what has it got them? Crap. Goes to show that money won't buy everything. --Jim Broede

No comments: