Thursday, September 9, 2010

Life is good, I tell my friend.

There comes a point when there's no differentiation between good and bad, I told a friend today. Like a suicide. for instance. One can see it both ways. Good and bad. Take your choice. Dying or not dying. Take your choice. And the way one dies. Take your choice. Dying of Alzheimer's or cancer. Maybe one particular way is more merciful than another. I don't know. One ultimately has to accept what one has no control over. Anyway, the friend has had good times with her companion. Lots of good times. Cherish that, I tell her. And you may still have some good times. Maybe not as good as in the past. But if you take it all one day at a time, there'll still be good times. Don't get ahead of yourself. Don't anguish about tomorrow. And his life-threatening illness. Live today the best way you can. Loving him. Loving yourself. Loving life. Loving the presence of your friends. Even if from a distance. If you do that, you'll be all right. So will he be all right. Even if he dies, he'll be all right. Death isn't always bad, you know. Life is good. And death is a part of life. That's the way I look at it. But then again, I'm a bit crazy. --Jim Broede

No comments: