Saturday, September 25, 2010

Do we understand ourselves?

I suspect that many people don't talk to each other enough. Sweethearts. Husbands and wives. Close friends. Acquaintances. Even strangers. We should talk more. I don't mean small talk. I mean about meaningful stuff. About life. About the importance of knowing and understanding each other. In far-reaching and intimate terms. If that happened, I think the world would be a better place. We don't do it nearly enough. And not only should we talk to each other more, we should learn to listen. We should grasp the meaning of each other's words. I see so many people just going through the motions. Of talking. Of listening. They really aren't into it. They see each other in shallow ways. They don't probe the depths. I suppose some people are frightened. By intimacy. By closeness. Or maybe it is that they don't understand themselves. And if they can't do that, how can they understand another being? --Jim Broede

No comments: