Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I'd rather focus on love.

I don't know why I give a damn about politics. Or about what's happening in the world. Makes no difference. Because I'm not gonna have any effect on politics or events. I'm only a little speck. A nothing, in a sense. Makes no difference whether I'm alive or dead. I'm not gonna change the big picture of life here on Mother Earth. But I can, to a great extent, control my own destiny. No matter the politic. No matter the world events. By cultivating a handful of human contacts. And by pursuing a loving relationship. Building my own active life amidst the chaos. Life in my immediate environs is what counts the most. Everything else is incidental. In that it's gonna happen. And I can't change it. I just have to let it happen. And some how try to fit in. Without politics and events having a direct effect on me. Doesn't make any difference who's president. Or which party controls congress. This winter I'll be living in Italy. And I may go days without reading an English language newspaper. Or watching English language television. And that'll be just fine with me. I'll be living my life. With my love. And I'll be able to write. And to do my usual mental and physical exercise. And be happy. Maybe, in large part, because I won't be giving a damn about politics and world events. Because my life will be focused on love. --Jim Broede

No comments: