Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I feel like a winner.

I don’t want a 36-hour day. I’ll settle for 24 hours. That’s all I need. So, why should I ask for more? If I can’t get everything done in a full day today, I have tomorrow and the day after that and even next week and next month and next year. I have enough time to slow down. To not be in a hurry. If I try to create a 36-hour day, I’ll drive myself crazy. I’ll be a nervous wreck. I see so very many people around me aiming for a 36-hour day. That includes some Alzheimer care-givers. They even waste time reading a book called ‘The 36-hour Day.’ Supposedly in an effort to become more efficient. To get more accomplished in the usual 24-hour day. To make it 36 hours. To cram. Not me. No thank you. I’ll get things done when I get ‘em done. Not a minute sooner. And I’ll learn to live with that pace. I have a dear friend that runs around at a torrid pace. Trying to meet self-imposed deadlines. Working herself into a sweat. Into a silly, unnecessary dither. Meanwhile, I’m acting like the turtle in the race. Taking my good-natured time. If I win the race, fine. If I lose it, that’s no big deal, either. I don’t feel compelled to win. Because often when I lose, I feel like a winner. --Jim Broede

No comments: