Friday, December 17, 2010

Maybe I'll get there some day.

I have become a world traveler primarily for the sake of love. Not necessarily because of love for other countries. But rather for love of another being. A country is too abstract. But a woman is real. Someone I can touch. And can know in intimate ways. I can’t bring myself to feel the same way about my country, the USA. Or any country, for that matter. My total love is reserved for a woman. One woman. Of course, I can know a country in a reverent and respectful way. More like knowing nature. Or an environs. Not a human soul. True intimacy and true love is soulful. Something for which I might surrender my life. The unconditional acceptance of another. I am unwilling to die for my country, for any country. I suppose I could still proclaim love, of sorts, for my country. But it would stop short of undying love. I could become a traitor. Relatively easy. Because my love of country is conditional. As well it should be. I’m not saying that I ever loved anyone or anything unconditionally. Theoretically, it’s possible, I suppose. But I would never even want to try to love a country unconditionally. I have absolutely no desire for such an achievement. But I have a desire to love a woman. Unconditionally. That’s a good start for a romantic idealist like me. Maybe I’ll get there some day.–Jim Broede

No comments: