Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Without sacrificing my integrity.

I like the concept of indivdual rights. And living in a world in which an individual can be truly an individual. But I also could be persuaded to place the individual in a secondary or subordinant role. For the sake of the common good. For the collective good. But it's difficult to say where one should draw the line. Because some individuals, in doing as they please, could easily infringe upon the rights of other individuals. At some point, the individual has to submit to the collective will. Yes, one must learn to compromise. To work cooperatively with others. Even with people we dislike. Unfortunately, I'm living in a time and place that often doesn't allow for ample give and take. Especially in the political realm. Where politicians in power want all or nothing. Where conniving occurs every day. Where deceit and dishonesty have become accepted practice. But I am resolved to find a way to live in this world without sacrificing my integrity. --Jim Broede

No comments: