Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'm not ready to give up.

More than 30,000 people die from gunfire every year in the United States. Another 66,000 or so are wounded, which means that nearly 100,000 men, women and children are shot in the United States annually. I picked up that statistic today in the New York Times. Astounding, isn't it? We Americans are a violent people. Always have been, I guess. Little wonder that we always seem to be at war. With other nations. And with ourselves. I hate to say it, but it's nice to be away from America. In Italy for the winter. I know there's no place on Earth that is perfect. But I'm feeling relaxed here in Sardinia. Better than I feel in the USA. Maybe you'll say, don't come back. But I know I will. In the hope of working for change. For a much better America. Certainly, a less violent America. Guess I'm a stubborn guy. I'm not ready to give up on making my country a better place in which to live. --Jim Broede

No comments: