Monday, January 31, 2011

The indulgences of life.

I long for a big breakfast. The kind I get in Minnesota when I eat out. But in Carbonia in Sardinia, I haven't found a big breakfast restaurant. The best I can do is a coffee bar, where I get a quick espresso and a jelly-filled croissant. I tell my true love, let's go out for a big breakfast. And she says that's not to be had in Carbonia. Maybe in a bigger city, like Rome. But in Carbonia, breakfast is light. And for many people, eating out is a luxury. Too expensive. In a time of a fragile economy. When Italians go out to eat, it's more likely to be for lunch or supper. Not for breakfast. My true love grew up in a home where one seldom dined out. The economical way was to stay in. To economize. Maybe a little bit on the Spartan side. But I'm trying to teach my true love to learn to enjoy the indulgences of life. Eating out. Several times a week. Even for a big breakfast.--Jim Broede

No comments: