Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rules are made to be broken.

Even when I speed, I cannot keep up with Italian drivers. They don't come anywhere close to obeying the speed limits. Even when they are warned by sign after sign that the highway is electronically patroled for speed violations. My guess is that speed limits aren't enforced. Despite the warnings. And Italians know it. They know that rules are made to be broken. So they all do it. I pretty much try to obey the 80-kilometer speed limit on open roads. But hey, that means I am continuously being whizzed by. And I mean whizzed. Like in a flash. Probably by Italians going 120 to 150 kilometers an hour. Chances are that anyone obeying the speed limit poses a danger. And if I'm at a stop sign and don't take off like a dart, I hear the inevitable honk. The signal to get going. Pronto. Or someone will kick my ass. Or at least hit the rear bumper. --Jim Broede

No comments: