Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Like losing a family member.

I like my true love's tiny blue Fiat. Maybe more than she does. It's an older car. Dates to 1986. But it has only 125,000 kilometers on the odometer. Which is something less than 100,000 miles. Something goes wrong with the Fiat. Now and then. But that's to be expected. So far, it's nothing big. Such as the flashing turn signals. They went out last night. Just a few blocks from our home. After a weekend on the road. So the timing was good. I suspect it's a fuse. Or maybe a loose wire. But I'm not good at fixing stuff. Especially anything mechanical. So we'll take it to a mechanic. Sometimes, the transmission in the car locks. And we can't turn the key to get the car started. Unless we jiggle things a bit. And the battery went dead earlier this winter. Little stuff. That annoys my true love. But I take things matter-of-factly. I get a lot out of a car. Had one that went for 270,000 miles. Another for 222,000 miles. Still another for 192,000 miles. I wait for the car to fall apart before I get rid of it. And then it's with great regret. Like losing a member of the family. --Jim Broede

No comments: