Friday, February 25, 2011

Makes us a perfect fit.

My true love is acclimating me to the ways of Sardinia, the ways of the Italians. I'm not so sure that I buy into all of it. But I certainly do to a large extent. Maybe not when it comes to a too-Spartan way of life. Such as going without certain modern conveniences. The ones that save time. It'd be like if I relied always on pen/pencil and paper. Like I am doing now. Sitting in a piazza. Writing. My thoughts. My observations. More often than not, I do this at the computer. At home. Saves me so very much time. I can capture thoughts more easily on a computer. And file or edit 'em with the punch of a button. Oh, I've been tempted to write everything by longhand. Or to even use an old-fashioned typewriter. Like I did when I was in the 6th grade, and got a typewriter for Christmas. Maybe I'm selling my soul by adopting time-saving measures of living. Such as using a clothes dryer. My true love simply hangs the wash outdoors. May take a day or two or even three for everything to dry. I'm also used to using a microwave oven more often than not. My true love relies on a gas stove and a small electric oven. My true love doesn't even own a toaster. And doesn't eat out all that often. Unless I kidnap her and drive off to a restauramt. Indeed, she has some Spartan blood and genes. Which I accept. However, I'm more the Athenian. But my true love enjoys museums. Goes out of her way to visit museums. Wherever we go. And brings me along. For which I am grateful. So maybe she's an Athenian after all. And yes, she likes to travel. And she has a romantic nature. That makes us a perfect fit. --Jim Broede

No comments: