Sunday, March 13, 2011

My god saves everybody.

I like to tell my Catholic friends that I’ve had an audience with the pope. Of course, I haven’t. But I have nothing against pretending. That the pope would give me a few minutes of his time. Even though I’m not a Catholic. Or a Christian, for that matter. For good reason. Because I doubt that even Jesus would call himself a Christian. He’d scoff at modern-day Christianity. Thinking it has gone down a deceptively wayward path. Especially if you are an Evangelical Christian. Believing that all one has to do is declare a belief in Jesus, and be saved. Automatically. Thing is, I believe everybody is saved. Even atheists. One doesn’t have to be an Evangelical. Or a Catholic. Or a Christian. That’s the way of a truly forgiving and loving god. Everybody is given forever to get it right. If god shows up at the last minute and tells me all I have to do to be saved is to declare a belief in him, I’ll believe. That’s pretty much the same as what Evangelicals believe. Just say it. When you are standing outside the door of Paradise. Yes, a simple declaration. That you want in. –Jim Broede

No comments: