Sunday, March 27, 2011

One must take control.

I visit the Alzheimer’s message boards almost daily. Even though it can be a downer. Because the message boards are a haven, of sorts, for unhappy people. Care-givers. Many of ‘em overworked. Exhausted. Overwhelmed. I can’t do much for ‘em. Which is frustrating. I could throw pity parties, I suppose. But I seldom do that. Instead, I look for solutions to their problems. And invariably I urge them to take care of themselves. To arrange their lives to get daily respite. Even if that means putting their loved ones into nursing homes. Shared care-giving. Making care-giving a team effort. Really, that’s what it takes. One can’t do it alone. Indefinitely. On a 24/7 basis. Without breaking down. Sooner or later. But still, so very many care-givers persist. They push themselves beyond reasonable limits. Like martyrs. They don’t have to. There are alternatives. But they have to be actively pursued. Things aren’t just gonna fall into one’s lap. One must take control. And find solutions to life’s problems. –Jim Broede

No comments: