Friday, March 11, 2011

Unless unions make a comeback.

When I was a writer for 29 years with the St. Paul Pioneer Press, I was well paid. And I had good working conditions. And benefits. In large part because we had a newspaper guild. A union. I'm also receiving a pension. For the rest of my life. Thanks in large part to the guild. Little wonder that I am very supportive of labor unions. But unions are in trouble today. Especially in places such as Wisconsin. Where the Republican-dominated legislature has revoked public employees rights to bargain collectively. Under the ruse that it's gonna save money and help balance the budget. But at the same time, Wisconsin legislators are giving rich people and corporations big tax breaks. That’s why it’s so difficult to balance the state budget. The rich aren’t paying their fair share. Which means the not-so-rich have to make up the difference. By settling for lower pay and fewer benefits. Maybe they won’t even get a pension. But one thing you can bet on. The rich will keep getting richer. While ordinary workers will get poorer. Unless unions make a comeback. –Jim Broede

No comments: