Sunday, April 10, 2011

I know beauty when I see it.

It’s silly that we worship in churches. In cathedrals. In basilicas. In all kinds of expensive man-made edifices. When god has provided us with the great outdoors. With the blue sky. Or a dark, starlit night. Wonderful natural-made places to worship. And at far less cost than our crappy edifices. Oh, maybe I shouldn’t say crappy. I just say that when I compare a cathedral to the natural beauty of nature. Made by god the creator himself. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And so it’s a relative thing. Like a face. Our notions of beauty can be rather amusing. For instance, I like a clown’s face. With a big red nose. Some people think that’s ugly. But it’s really magnificent. Something bold. And charmingly beautiful. And then there’s my true love. The most beautiful woman in the world. Even more beautiful than Elizabeth Taylor in her prime. She doesn’t seem to believe it. But I do. And that’s the important thing. Because I know beauty when I see it. –Jim Broede

No comments: