Friday, April 1, 2011

Beautiful. Peaceful. Serene.

I listened to Schubert’s Piano Sonata in B Flat D960 tonight. And I think that it may be the most spiritual piece of music I’ve ever heard. I am totally enthralled. Carried away. Especially by the slow movement. You must listen. And allow yourself to be absorbed by the music. Totally. Surrender to it. I remember listening to it 30 or 40 years ago. In a recording by Artur Schnabel. Probably recorded in the 1930s or 1940s. I may still have the phonograph record. And I was captivated by it from the very beginning. It’s the last sonata Schubert composed only months before his death at age 31. Maybe it reflected his premonition…not so much of death…but of heaven. Paradise. So beautiful. So peaceful. So serene. Listen. Particularly to the slow movement. --Jim Broede

No comments: