Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm off to a good start.

The woman is a neighbor, of sorts. Lives a half-mile away. And when I walk or bike, I often pass by her house. I’ve said, ‘Hi!’ But not much more. In all these years, I’ve never bothered to get to know her name. Until the other day. When I stopped to chat. When she was walking with a man. My motivation. I was curious. Not so much about the woman. But a dog she once had. A boxer. And I hadn’t seen the dog for a while. Turns out the dog was put to sleep. About 18 months ago. Had a brain tumor. Anyway, she no longer has a dog. Used to have a beagle. And a basset hound. Not at the same time. But one after the other. Turns out the man walking with her is a new-found friend. They met on the Internet. After both of their spouses died. Maybe he’s in his 60s, and retired. She’s maybe in her 40s. Looks to me like they are in love. And very happy. I like ‘em both. Instinctively. Maybe because they are getting on with their lives. Together. In a truly loving way. I intend to get to know them better. They seem like my kind of people. I’m off to a good start. I even know their names. Jim and Diane. –Jim Broede

No comments: