Sunday, June 26, 2011

I don't want to be too limiting.

When I go walking, jogging, running or bicycling, I’m often more or less oblivious of my surroundings. Oh, I watch for safety impediments. But I don’t pay much attention to the scenery. Because I’m focused on the mesmerizing effects of exercise. Plus, I’m thinking. Immersed in thinking about something. Getting it all together. And often, I take a break. Take to my computer. And record my thoughts. Yes, I’ve discovered that exercise is a catalyst for thought. Gives me a high, of sorts. Helps illuminate. I may be taking a shower, too. And can’t remember if I shampooed my hair. Because I was immersed in thought. And I was taking my shower mechanically. Like a robot. Without focusing at all on what I was doing. I was more or less on cruise control. Don’t know if that’s a good trait. Or not. Instead, it’s merely a recognition. That’s the way I operate. Maybe I should be more focused on what I’m doing. Instead, the focus is on what I’m thinking. I suppose that could be dangerous if I’m driving a car. But I do make a conscious effort to focus on anything I’m doing that could be dangerous. And maybe the best time to think is when I’m sitting down. Just for the purpose of thinking. But then, I don’t want to be too limiting. –Jim Broede

No comments: