Sunday, June 19, 2011

Care-giving techniques that worked.

I tell people to make the best of bad situations. Which, I suspect, annoys some people. Because it’s much easier said than done. But still, I think that’s good advice. Sure, it’s difficult. And people wish they were never in bad situations. But crap happens. And we’ve gotta deal with it. I have nothing against consoling people. But seems to me that the best consolation is a practical solution to a problem. Yes, to get it fixed. Once and for all. If that’s possible. I learned that when I was an Alzheimer care-giver. For 13 years. For my dear Jeanne. I had to quit feeling sorry for Jeanne. And for myself. So I got down to practicalities. I found care-giving techniques that worked. Such as exuding good vibes. All of the time in Jeanne’s presence. And it worked. I got positive response from Jeanne. That made me feel good. Because I was becoming an effective care-giver. –Jim Broede

No comments: