Saturday, June 11, 2011

We can choose for ourselves.

When I was a youngster, I allowed other people to define me. My parents. My teachers. Adults. That was a mistake. Because even they were unable to define themselves. So how the hell could they define me? Even today, at the ripe age of 75, all sorts of people try to define me. Thing is, they are generally full of crap. They don’t even know themselves. It’s a national epidemic. An international epidemic. People don’t know themselves. They’ve never dug deep below their surface. But I know myself. I know that I’m a romantic idealist, a free-thinker, a liberal and a lover. And a lot more, too. Know thyself. That’s an adage I try to live by. Early on, I revolted. I told people, don’t define me. I’ll take on that task. But it was never really a task. More a pleasure. I think it takes audacity for people to even try to define me. When they haven’t even bothered to focus on defining themselves. They don’t have a clue. They are just ambling aimlessly through life. But occasionally, I find people that truly know themselves. And when I do, I embrace them. Congratulate them. Because they’ve finally learned how to live. And to take charge of their lives. It’s a remarkable accomplishment. I suspect that we are born without an essence. We are free to make our own essences. We don’t have to be what our parents or teachers tell us we ought to be. We can choose for ourselves. –Jim Broede

No comments: