Wednesday, July 20, 2011

We don't get far ahead of ourselves.

My son Jack and I have different comfort levels. Jack, who's about 50 years old, can live like a Spartan. With far fewer basics than me. And be reasonably happy. I need more creature comforts. Not nearly as many as some people. But certainly more than Jack. I don’t wanna live in poverty. Jack can manage. He’ll settle for living in a tent. Or for that matter, under the blue sky. Or under the stars at nighttime. And during the hot summer, he’ll put up with the heat and humidity. Or the cold of winter. Preferably in a thermal sleeping bag and with makeshift protection from the snow. Maybe a lean-to. Jack doesn’t even need the security of a full-time, permanent job. He’ll find a way to exist, and survive, even when he’s out of work. He’ll improvise. He’s out of work now. And living with his girlfriend right here on my property. In a tent, and in a spare Spartan-like room attached to the garage. It’s been an unusually hot and humid summer. But Jack and his girlfriend make do. With a fan. And by frequent dips in the lake. He travels about in a beat-up car. He looks for temporary work, and subsists on little cash. I’ve given him canned goods and other things. And he and his girlfriend mostly cook their meals outdoors. On a grill and in a hand-constructed fire pit. They come indoors to use the toilet and other bathroom facilities. But not always. There are other ways of improvising. I just let Jack be. I don’t hound him to get a job. But I do inquire about how the job hunt is going. And I just observe. Trying to avoid being judgmental or preachy. I used to be that way. But no more. Meanwhile, Jack pretty much accepts me, too. Let’s me go my way, without being preachy himself. And he pretty much respects my privacy. Doesn’t disturb me much. Because he knows I cherish peace and quiet. Solitude. Especially when I’m writing. Anyway, Jack and I have some things in common. But we also are quite different personalities. We’ve learned respect and acceptance for each other over the years. Maybe even when we weren’t together. I hadn’t seen Jack in 10 years. Until he showed up on my door step about two weeks ago. Meanwhile, I’m curious. Wondering what’s to come next. Never can tell. Jack might be gone tomorrow. Or he may still be around months from now. Guess we’ll see. Because one thing we have in common. We take life one day at a time. Don’t ever get very far ahead of ourselves. –Jim Broede

No comments: