Saturday, July 9, 2011

I can settle for a Sardinian beach.

When I travel, I don’t need the historic grandeur of Prague or Budapest or Rome. Although those cities would be nice. Instead, I can just as easily settle for a desolate Sardinian beach on the Mediterranean Sea. Even in the wintertime. Which really isn’t a bona fide winter. Because I’m from Minnesota. I like nice and quiet places. Away from the hustle and bustle. Away from the crowds. Away from the tourists. I could just as easily settle for the middle of a primeval forest. Or an isolated mountain top. Those are my kinds of places. Maybe where one doesn’t see any sign of civilization. I can take these places alone. Or in the company of my Italian true love. Preferably, the latter. And when I go to a place, I like to stay for a relatively long time. Not merely a few days. Better that it be for a few months. Or maybe a year or two. I don’t have to hop-scotch all over creation. And I wouldn’t mind having the sense of being lost. Where nobody could find me. But don’t get me wrong. I want to go to Prague and Budapest and Rome. And so many other cities. All I’m saying is that I can settle for a Sardinian beach. That’s my Paradise. –Jim Broede

No comments: