Saturday, July 23, 2011

Maybe I've never been truly tested.

One thing about me. I never allow other people to pull me down with them. Doesn’t matter who it is. My father. My mother. My brother. My sister. My son. Virtually anybody except a true love. For instance, I won’t live with an abuser. Even those who abuse themselves. Even when my father committed suicide, when I was 13, I found ways to remain relatively aloof and detached. That was his choice. Not my choice. I don’t have to feel the least bit guilty or remorse about other people’s stupid actions. For a long time, I wrote off my sister. Because of her drinking problem. She was uncommunicative. Irrational. And I wasn’t gonna waste my time. She’s recovering now. And we are on good terms. I accepted her conditionally. Like I do with most people. I apply unconditional acceptance only to my true loves. I’ve had two of ‘em in my life. One, currently. Yes, I’m able to apply unconditional love, or so I think. I’ll concede one thing though. Maybe I’ve never been truly tested. –Jim Broede

No comments: