Thursday, July 21, 2011

My search for human decency.

I more or less divide the world into decent people and not-so-decent people. I tolerate ‘em all. To some degree. But mainly I try to cultivate very decent people. The exceptional ones. And it seems to me that there are a fair number of ‘em out there. Of course, my idea of decency may not be the same as your’s. For instance, I look at the big picture in deciding on decency. Some folks call Bill Clinton indecent for cheating on his wife. But I don’t judge Clinton on that basis. Instead, I see Clinton as a very, very decent human being. Because of his political agenda. Calculated to serve the common good. Rather than special interests. On the other hand, there’s Newt Gingrich. He’s the same Gingrich that sought impeachment of Clinton for his sexcapades. And at that very time, Gingrich was having an adulteress affair. Betraying his own wife. Talk about hypocrisy. Also, consider Gingrich’s political agenda. Geared for special interests. Rich people and big corporations. Gingrich couldn’t care less about poor people and the middle class. Which is in sharp contrast to Clinton. Therefore, I see far more decency in Clinton than in Gingrich. When I look for the very decent amongst us, I certainly won’t waste my time focusing on American politicians. Most of ‘em seem to have sold their souls to the devil. –Jim Broede

No comments: