Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Nothing wrong with never giving up.

In a way, I’m grateful that I’m not black. Because that would impose so many difficulties on me. Living in America. I’d face so much discrimination. Overtly. And subtly, too. I would have had such a different life experience. More negative. More upsetting. But I suppose I would have learned to cope. A little bit like living in an alien country. Where I wasn’t fully welcome. I’m not fully welcome even now. As a white man. Because I think differently. I’m radical in some ways. Politically. Socially. I don’t quite fit. Because of my ideas. But it would be especially annoying if I didn’t fit merely because of the color of my skin. I could be the same human being I am now. Except for a change in color. And it’d make a huge difference. Actually, I wouldn’t be the same being if I had been black all of my life. Because my life experiences would have been so very, very different. I would have been denied many opportunities. Instead, I’ve been one of the privileged elites. Because I’m white. That gave me many advantages in life. Maybe I didn’t deserve all of those advantages. But I’ll take ‘em. With a little sense of guilt. I did go South in the 1960s. Not with the intention of becoming actively involved in the Civil Rights movement. But I did get caught up in it. In positive ways. And I’m still involved. Because we Americans still have a long way to go to make for full racial equality. Maybe it’ll never be achieved. But hey, nothing wrong with never giving up the fight. –Jim Broede

No comments: