Saturday, September 3, 2011

Yes, wonders never cease.

A supervisor in the circulation department at the Minneapolis Star Tribune is a decent and accommodating woman. She makes things work. She satisfies the customer. Even if it means breaking the bureaucratic rules.

Here's the story. I subscribe to the weekday edition of the New York Times. And it's delivered by the Star Tribune carrier. Early every morning. Except that he occasionally misses delivery. Maybe once every month or two. The New York Times tells me all I have to do is call a 1-800 number and the missing paper will be delivered either the same day or the next day. But it never happens. Yes, the New York Times hands out a line of bull shit. And I repeatedly tell the New York Times representative that at the various locations where I'm connected by phone. It ain't ever local. Always some distant place. Maybe in North Dakota or Iowa or Florida or Tennessee. God knows where. But it ain't local. So I have repeatedly suggested that I be put in touch directly with the local carrier. But that's not the way the bureaucracy customarily operates. That would be too efficient.

Anyway, I defied the odds last Thursday. After missing delivery of my paper. I called the Star Tribune circulation department. But to no immediate avail. The representative I talked to, after a wait of 10 minutes, explained that I'm to go through the 1-800 number directly to the New York Times. And then New York will contact Minneapolis. And get me the paper. But I explained that never happens. Finally, I asked to talk to a supervisor. At first, she gave me the same spiel. The same run-around. I would have to jump through the prescribed bureaucratic hoops. I appealed. To her sense of decency. Suggesting that she had the power to right everything. Locally. And do you know what? She listened. To reason. Agreed to call the delivery man on my route. To explain the situation to him. This morning, I received not only the Thursday paper, but a complimentary copy of the Saturday edition, too. Thank gawd. A kind, considerate and humane individual. In the circulation department at the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Took only a minute or two for her to straighten out a mess. By bypassing the bureaucracy. She finally gave me the royal treatment. Which I deserve. And I'm returning the favor. By giving her well-deserved plaudits. Imagine that. A worker that listens to reason. And dares break the bureaucratic rules. Yes, wonders never cease. --Jim Broede

No comments: