Monday, October 24, 2011

All kinds make up this crazy world.

I never let drudgery take over my life. Even for 5 minutes. The moment I experience a feeling of uninteresting toil, I get out of it. Pronto. I suspect that drudgery is the most common malady of modern society. And it may even be the root cause of depression. Life becomes so full of toil, so lackluster, that one begins to think that it ain't worth living. Indeed, a sad state of affairs. I keep reminding myself that I'm happy to be alive and that every moment has the potential to be precious. No drudgery for me. Yet, I know people who don't seem to have any fun or pleasure in life. They are bogged down by drudgery. Everything is work. No pleasure. No time to indulge themselves. They make lists of things they 'have to do.' Everyone of the 'haves' being a task. I suggest that they carve out an hour or two of pure pleasure in their busy, taskful day. But they claim to be obligated to the pursuit of drudgery. I insist we are all entitled to the pursuit of happiness. And they generally agree, in concept. Not in practice. They say the pursuit of happiness must be postponed until all of the drudgery gets done. When will that be? They have no idea. Because their list of drudgery is virtually endless. As if they are staring into a bottomless pit. For gawd's sake, they are entitled to at least momentary relief. They say, no. They must toil relentlessly. Forever. They are masochists. Actually enjoying suffering and carrying a heavy burden. Sounds sort of sick. But it takes all kinds of people to make up this crazy world. There should be a place for everyone. Including those addicted to drudgery and masochism. Like I often say, to each his own. --Jim Broede

No comments: