Sunday, October 16, 2011

I wanna join Robinhood's gang.

In America, equality is a hoax. Always was. From the beginning. Oh, the founders declared all men were created equal. But that was baloney. Because the slaves were anything but equal. Same goes for women. And for poor people. And for many immigrants. Makes me less than proud of my nation. The people that run America don't believe in equality. And that's mostly rich people. Millionaires and billionaires. The privileged ruling elite. Many of 'em in roles as bankers and corporate bosses. They use their money to exert power. To get their way. To satisfy their greed. They used to do it largely with a slave economy. But now they do it by keeping people poor, or with little more than bare essentials. They pursue economic and political policies that keep widening the gap between the rich and the poor. The 400 richest people in America have more wealth than the bottom 150 million. Seems to me that ain't good. Of course, I could be wrong. But I suspect that some day society will recognize that the gap between the rich and poor is grossly immoral. And something will be done about it. Just like we finally did something about slavery. Now it's recognized as indecent. Takes awhile for a society to wake up and do the right thing. Seems to me that some of us are waking up faster than others. Evidenced by the onslaught of public protests over Wall Street manipulators. The protests seem to have drawn many young people. They know that if things stay pretty much the same, they'll have a bleak future. Because the rich will continue to rob the poor. I'm not so young any more. Call me an old geezer. But it's not too late for me to join Robinhood's gang. I like the idea of taxing the rich to pay for social programs that benefit the poor and middle class. --Jim Broede

No comments: