Monday, October 17, 2011

Thank god, I wasn't born too soon.

I've never felt completely comfortable with my physical being. With my body. My arms. My legs. My torso. I feel much better about my soul, my spirit, my emotions, my mind. I'm more interior than exterior. Strange, isn't it? I don't know why that is. Guess it's that I don't have a good grasp of physical existence. I'm able to cultivate my spirit. Make it grow and thrive. But as I get older, I'm slowing down. Physically. Someday I'm gonna deteriorate and fade away. Physically. But I feel there's more ever-lasting substance to my spirit. In fact, maybe my spirit will be set free. My body is far too limiting. It's as if I'm trapped. Shackled. Caged. So difficult to express myself with physical gestures and actions. I can't dance. I can't sing. Although I can feel dance and song within me. But I can't perform. Physically. I am moved instead by my inner spirit and my mind. Not my body. Maybe my salvation is that I can write. Physically. Manually. With paper and pen and pencil. With a computer or typewriter. I can capture a thought and see it and read it. It's physically tangible. Enough so that I convey a feeling with written words. My form of dance and song. Interesting, isn't it? Dance and song came into exiatence long before the written word. Thank god, I wasn't born too soon. --Jim Broede

No comments: