Monday, November 14, 2011

That takes some doing.

I have a shabby, well-worn belt that I wear. To hold up my pants. And it annoys my Italian true love that I keep wearing the belt. Especially when I have a virtually new Italian-made belt. But I tell my true love that the old belt brings good luck. That the belt may be the reason my Chicago Bears have won four straight football games. So it should do no harm if I continue to wear it. And that's my intent. Until the Bears lose again. If the Bears go undefeated for the rest of the season and win the Super Bowl, I'm gonna be convinced that my belt had something to do with it. But if truth be told, I really need an excuse for wearing that shabby belt. I really like the belt. It has sentimental value. And I don't wanna give it up. Same goes for some very-worn shoes. And a pair of pants. And a sweathshirt. I don't like to part with certain stuff. Meanwhile, my true love says she's ashamed to be seen with me in public with such a belt. But I know better. She'll put up with it. Because she puts up with me. And that takes some doing. --Jim Broede

No comments: