Thursday, December 22, 2011

I want a 'dampfhudelin' for X-mas.

I felt a little like a stuffed goose. On my visit to the open air market square in Saarbrucken over the weekend. My German cousin Fritz insisted that I sample just about everything. German delicacies. A bratwurst hanging mostly out of the bun. Heaped with mustard. Followed by a dampfhudeln. More about that later. Followed by a steaming cup of hot wine. I couldn't finish all of the wine and still stay sober. But believe me, I finished the dampfhudeln. Every last bite. Every last crumb. One of the most delicious desserts I've ever tasted. A soft spungy dumplin topped with a vanilla creme sauce. I wondered how I ever missed dampfhudelin on my many, many stays in Germany over the years. Goes to show, there's always something to be discovered. I spotted the sign on an outdoor booth. And inquired of my German cousins. 'What's a dampfhudelin?' If my Italian true love truly loves me, she'll figure out a way to make a dampfhudelin. That's all I want for Christmas. --Jim Broede

No comments: