Friday, December 23, 2011

I'm served beer again.

I became acquainted with Kurt when he was mayor of Kashofen. The tiny German rural town where my grandfather came from. And what I remember most at that first meeting. It was in the mayor's office. And he served me beer. As a political writer for newspapers, I was invited many times into a mayor's office. Back in the USA. But never once did an American mayor serve me beer. In his office. Or any place. I don't know if that makes Kurt distinctive. But believe me, he's unique. Speaks good English. And now he's the ex-mayor. Retired. Reports circulated several years ago that Kurt was in poor health. And that his life might be in danger. But every time I return, Kurt seems to be healthier and healthier. Maybe he'll last forever. I hope so. Because when I returned to Kashofen last week, I was served beer again. This time in Kurt's living room. --Jim Broede

No comments: