Monday, December 12, 2011

It's worked out admirably well.

When I started this blog about 4 or 5 years ago, it was a way to find an outlet. For my thoughts. Honest thoughts. To be able to speak my mind. Candidly. I was being stifled. Wherever I went. Because there were limits. Restrictions. Editors. Censors. So I tested this new-fangled thing called a blog. At first, various people (readers) wanted to censor me. To dictate what I write. But I didn't let 'em. I printed their comments, for the most part. But occasionally I drew the line. Some comments became obscene and hateful. Which amazed me. They were mostly posters that came over from the Alzheimer's message boards. Fellow care-givers. They didn't like it that I had my own ideas about care-giving. And how to do it. Effectively. I wasn't foisting my ideas on anyone. It was pretty much take it or leave it. I merely related what worked for me. Personally. And I discouraged pity parties. Encouraged care-givers to stop feeling sorry for themselves. My gawd. That got hostile reaction. Over-reaction. Care-givers took my observations as unwarranted criticism. And they weren't gonna let me get away with it. Thinking I wasn't entitled to my opinion. And that I should be banned from the Alzheimer's message boards. Even though I was obeying the prescribed/printed guidelines. So I tamed down my rhetoric on the message boards. And created a more free-wielding blog. Seems to me it's worked out admirably well. For everyone. --Jim Broede

No comments: