Sunday, January 22, 2012

Those aren't smiles, but grimaces.

I know many Nervous Nellies and Nervous Neds. People who allow themselves to be nervous. They live on the edge of nervous breakdowns. Instead of relaxing. Instead of slowing down. I see 'em every day. Often standing in line. Buying petrol. Buying groceries. Waiting to see a doctor. They are frustrated. By delays. It's as if their whole lives are wastes of time. Instead, I suggest that they take time to observe each other. In an attempt to learn something. That's the way I spend my time. In line. In the waiting room. Watching people edging closer and closer to nervous breakdowns. Some of 'em talk to themselves. Maybe without even knowing it. They mumble. Incoherently. Of course, the ones I hear nowadays speak Italian. Because I'm living in Sardinia. And the Italian language sounds quite incoherent. To me. But funny. Really. I can see by their antics. That they are nervous. They have anxious looks. Those aren't smiles, but grimaces. --Jim Broede

No comments: