Saturday, April 7, 2012

Instead of getting on with life.

Often, friends in depression want me to leave them alone. But I don't always grant their wish. To their annoyance. But occasionally to their delight. I'm not afraid to take a risk. Of alienating someone. Maybe it's because I like to fix problems. And believe me, depression is a problem. Seems to me that more often than not, depression has a root cause. Something specific. Maybe it's an event in one's life. Such as the death of a loved one. A friend told me that grieving and depression are two different things. That grieving is a healthy process that one must go through. Not depression. But I disagree. Because I'm of a mind that depression comes in many, many forms. And depression can often be offset. By mental maneuvers. Such as refocusing. By learning to savor the things in life that should be savored. Despite the pitfalls. But too many people in depression are downright stubborn. They insist on remaining unhappy. Maybe because they think that's the right and proper thing to do. So they grieve. Needlessly long. Instead of getting on with life. --Jim Broede

No comments: