Saturday, May 12, 2012

Good needs to be cultivated.

Some people don't want me to be me. Even a friend or two occasionally tries to change me. Wants me to be less open. More reserved. More cautious about what I have to say. Yes, less opinionated. Of course, I don't worry about it. I continue to be me. By letting people know what's on my mind. Yes, I practice thinking. Out loud. That offends some people, I'm sure. I easily offend Republicans and rednecks and religious zealots. And more, too. I'm a natural born offender. But I often try to offend in amusing ways. For the laughs. I try not to offend in mean-spirited ways. But hey, it's difficult not being mean-spirited to the mean-spirited. Fortunately, all of my very close friends are kindly-spirited. Come to think of it, virtually all of the mean-spirted people I know are Republicans, rednecks and religious zealots. I'm sure there are others. And don't get me wrong. Not all Republicans, rednecks and religious zealots are mean-spirited. I know some that are pretty decent people. Deep down. They just have trouble showing it. Maybe that makes me a positive thinker. I see some amount of good in everyone. It just needs to be cultivated. --Jim Broede

No comments: